How To Care for Your Braces
What can I eat?
You’re on your way to a beautiful smile, but in the meantime, you’ll need to be careful about the foods that you eat. Some foods you’ll need to avoid altogether, others you’ll need to change the way you eat them! Here’s a guide for you!
Foods to Avoid
- Sticky foods: Gum, caramel candies, chewy candies
- Hard foods: Nuts, popcorn, hard candies, ice cubes
Foods to Eat with Caution
- Raw fruits and veggies- simply cut into bite size and chew on the back teeth
- Corn on the Cob- enjoy by removing from the cob
- Chewy breads: bagels, pizza crust- break off smaller sizes on your back teeth
Can I play sports?
Absolutely! When you are practicing and playing sports, please remember to protect your braces and your lips by wearing a mouth guard. You can have one made especially for you! Just ask us when you are in the office, and we can make sure it fits right with your braces or Invisalign.
What happens if something breaks?
(Including broken brackets, loose bands or broken wires)
When braces are well cared for they rarely break, but it can happen! If something breaks be sure to call our office and let us know. We will help you to know the next steps. If something is broken, it could mean that it is not working properly and therefore could increase the time you are in treatment.
What else should I know?
That your smile is going to be awesome!